Travelers Welcome

Travelers Welcome

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Old Movies Taught Us

by Jason Braun

I.

Women faint like falling
rock on a Colorado roadside.

Every heavy must tend pigeons,
mice, or an unmanly mutt.

There are not many black people
in Casablanca when Bogart’s around.

Lassie can talk, but only under
the spell of a boy’s chin bobbing in a well.

There are three ways to get a cat
off a hot tin roof.

Courage can be brand of gin,
bought behind the curtain.

II.

Taxis are always waiting.
Nothing matters more than a snow sled.
A man with two broken hands can’t scratch.
Never trust a British accent.
Shirley Temple is cuter than should be legal.
Psychology is a new word.
Our machines will betray us someday.
Sometimes a cigarette holder isn’t.
Santa is the only hope.

2 comments:

  1. This poem flips the table:
    whatever the prescriptive ratio
    of words to pics (1000:1?),
    here each well wrought line is worth
    24 frames per second,times two reels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd paid more heed to the lessons. This poem is hilarious, and not. "Shirley Temple is cuter than should be legal." That's poetry. It probably shouldn't be but it definitely is here. I want to watch all these films again, which has got to be a compliment to a poem, but I'm not sure I know what half of them are. This makes me smile, laugh, and want to say the lines aloud myself. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete