Travelers Welcome

Travelers Welcome

Sunday, July 15, 2012

She Took Away My Guns

by Kevin Ridgeway

cap guns a-popping
in the backyard
robots that transformed
into rifles
shooting plastic balls


that was my arsenal


one day I looked
at her
dead in the eye
and said


“That’s it for me!”


and shot off a cap
toward my temple


the grain of fuzz
in the 1980s camcorder
video is distorted
as the camera was
switched off
abruptly


gone were the guns,
the water pistols,
even
and anything
else that exploded


there was no where
to turn--I had surrendered
to her and the end of
my wild childhood


I had only
the television
left with its
drunken hiss
that sung
its lullabies
to me at night


with a mighty bang

2 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of Kevin Ridgeway's poetry, and this is no exception. Great piece, what an ending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. I really enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete