Travelers Welcome

Travelers Welcome

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

In My Sun

by Julia Biederman

I’ve lost my sight but I’m not blind
The shadows cannot steal my mind
I close my eyes when lights go out
To learn what dark is all about

Without a beam under my door
What would I keep them open for?
The room’s not mine for me to see
And the door is locked without a key

I looked around and tried to see
But could not tell my hands from knee
So I close my eyes when lights go out
To learn what the dark is all about

The light that’s taken from my eyes
Manifests in its own disguise
It’s sunshine of my own devise
And splinters all assembled lies

My vision has become a blur
Others’ words a languid slur
What was my day is turned to night
And what is done I cannot fight

The walls around are caving in
The air I breathe seems to grow thin
But with my eyes squeezed shut I might
Take this wrong and make it right

And in my sun I always find
That what I love will become mine
I close my eyes when lights go out
To learn what dark is all about

The sun is warm, the air is clear
And when I close my eyes I hear
The song of birds as they soar by
Into an uncorrupted sky

And in that hissing, dying ember
It was easy to remember
That darkness tried to steal my sight
But where there’s hope, there’s always light

I closed my eyes when the lights went out
I saw what dark was all about

No comments:

Post a Comment