Travelers Welcome

Travelers Welcome

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

BEES IN THE CHERRY ORCHARD

by Nancy Scott McBride

As soon as the blossoms open fully,
the bees come to gather the precious pollen.
They’re all business, the bees,
working the trees from dawn to dusk
until the petals fade and fall.
Time was, when my ears were in better shape,
I could hear the buzzing from the back porch,
fifteen or twenty feet away.
Now I wait for traffic noise to slow on the road,
then walk out, stand under the nearest tree and
let the sound envelope and invade me,
not so much hearing as feeling it.
It comes inside me and takes me over,
the ecstasy of creatures doing the one single
thing they were born to do. And in this way
the yearly ritual becomes a part of me.
I am the singing and the song,
the humming and the honey.

2 comments:

  1. Great poem Nancy, bees provide such a profound service to all of us.. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, it's wonderful to be surrounded by bees and they're vital to plants and nature in general

    ReplyDelete