Travelers Welcome

Travelers Welcome

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

coping...

by jkdavies

You have knocked the life out of me,
I shovel dead things into my mouth
but I only taste the fermented stuff.
Honesty looks good on me, but on you?
I didn't need to know how easily
you put me out of your mind.
You made me feel alive and I hate
to think how long ago that was now,
I want to quicken myself but it does not come,
I can not come, it is an exercise in friction and
though the flesh is willing the mind is freaked.
Reject, side dish, bit of fun, reject,
slut, tease, reject; words bicycle in my head.
Dead mould, mushrooms for tea.
Yes, on the side, by the pallid fish flesh. I will
shrivel up in the non-weight of your disregard.
This time, can I make the silence stick?
Can I pour in enough alcohol to make
me tongue tied and not voluble?
Bitter exudations, oozing failure, and
in the morning, sweet rancid sweat.
Success and failure both are counted
by apathy, not talking to you.
Your life goes on, maybe to her you will
seem a little distracted, maybe?
Maybe not even that, after all, she didn't
even notice when you went to her,
rubbed raw from our exertions.
I try another tentative rub, but no,
rejected by my own flesh. To drink
to sleep; to sleep perchance to weep.
You have knocked the life out of me,
and now half digested dead things
come back out of my mouth.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa Julia....Wonderfully written erotic pain and blame. Very visceral.
    If I was this guy, I would be on the first rocket ship off the earth!
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He may be gone, but what a fantastic body of work you've produced as a result. I count this among your best pieces on Too Much Practice. I would like to meet the man who inspired all of this, and I'd meet him anonymously in a pub and buy him a drink. He would never know why.

    ReplyDelete