Travelers Welcome

Travelers Welcome

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

New York Babies At Night Time

by Rhyan Moncrief

Glowing storefronts illuminated 
both the skies and the stars with glistening undercoats
the streets were dense under urine and booze
spilled by boys who yelled at girls
happy to have their push up bras 
appreciated
it was that summer we read Catcher in the Rye
religiously
We overflowed with privilege 
and hated it

In June we graduated 
from middle school
you found out that your father was cheating
on the women he cheated on your
mother with
& in July, I kissed you for the first time
I let you feel me up a little
because I couldn't help getting uneasy
plus you said it was nothing
Most nights we couldn't contain ourselves
shouting ideas as fast as taxi cabs
we couldnt run
our still-growing bodies
into the ground
We were raging rebellions
against the red lights
Back then we thought we knew how life worked
like the palms of each others hands 
By September
our fingers were callused from the monkey bars
and twisting the caps off of beer bottles
I took a pill from my mom's drawer and still couldn't stop dreading the 
sleepiness beneath my skull
We inhaled marijuana that filled 
the tinted air
between the
skyscrapers

1 comment: