Travelers Welcome

Travelers Welcome

Sunday, July 22, 2012

If you were to see me on the street, lover

by Marian Veverka

Would you remember and by me a beer?
Or do you think of me as that crazy woman
Who kept demanding that  I love you,
Really love you
Singing along with all the old
Songs on the jukebox (I always played the
Love songs,) did they whisper in your ear?

Simon and Garfunkel, when they broke up
I realized that if two geniuses couldn’t make
Their music together any more, what chance
Did we have, you with all your friends,  and
Me sitting at the bar alone, drinking any kind
Of beer they had on tap.  You called yourself
Crazy, but I was the one who spent time in
Rehab – was that a turn-on for you?

“four in the morning, tapped out– yearning…”
You were the one who couldn’t sleep, kept
Me awake – I still don’t know what you were
Longing for, whatever it was I hope you found it.
 I hate to think of others you might have hurt
Through all those years.  Now, seeing you again,
The old question remains – is it you or is it me
Which of us is the one who always will be

Still crazy after all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment