Travelers Welcome

Travelers Welcome

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Devil In His Studebaker

by Taufiq bin Abdul Khalid

Yeah, I have seen it all,
Heaven and Hell and back again,
You can read it on my face,
You can hear it in my song,
Heaven or Hell, and that same ol' refrain;
'I don’t know where I truly belong...'

Yeah, I have seen it all before,
The Good, the Bad and the downright Ugly,
But never you mind about me,
Do I even look worried?
So never you mind about me,
I am a fisherman on the River of Mercy.

And if one day, the Devil comes a callin’,
The Devil in his mean ol’ Studebaker,
I won’t take that ride, oh no I won’t,
For the Devil ain’t my muse,
He never was my musicmaker.

Yeah, I have seen it all before,
Angels sleeping on the doorsteps,
Begging for my dimes and dreams,
Knocking on my door looking like Lucille,
And I have always said, “Yeah, come on in, Lucille,
Come on in...”

So what are you waiting for?
Come in and play the Blues with me.
Get out of the cold, my brother,
The streets ain't no place to loiter,
For I can hear the Devil cruisin’ for souls,
Cruisin’ in his mean ol’ Studebaker,

No comments:

Post a Comment