Travelers Welcome

Travelers Welcome

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Night: January 15th 2010

by Mike Meraz

the cops pull me over.
the cops ask my name.
the cops take me out of my car.
the cops frisk me up and down.
the cops put me into their squad car.
the cops ask me questions.
they hand cuff me.
they take me to their jail.
they sit me down.
they say I have 3 phone calls.
I call my sister
my aunt
and my lawyer.
I walk out of jail
and into the cold night air.
with no car.
and 100 dollars in my pocket..

I ask a man,
"which way is Heaven?"
he says, "that way."

I head “that way” thinking,
"I have to change."

1 comment:

  1. As I adore para-taxis, and lists your first 5 lines pulled me in...but more importantly, the penultimate stanza made me smile, the final stanza made me laugh. Thanks. Joseph Hargraves

    ReplyDelete