Travelers Welcome

Travelers Welcome

Saturday, January 22, 2011

DEATH IS LOOKING FOR ME TONIGHT

by Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal

Death is looking for me tonight.
It wants to feast on my heart and marrow.
I cannot sleep. I need to move on.
I consult with the stars for guidance.

Death follows me in each direction.
Its pale face smiles, overjoyed in its hunt
across every city I try to hide in.
I keep dreaming of Death without trying.

I know Death could get me anytime.
I tremble in fear when the room goes cold.
At night Death is like a drunken child beater.
I would not get it angry when it’s drunk.

It bids its time and keeps me on edge.
Death hungers for my heart and marrow.
Sometimes I just want it to be done with me.
The stars are not so gentle when Death is near.

1 comment:

  1. Generally, I don't like personification in poems, (maybe took to many university lit classes), however, this poem's got me by the throat.

    And the very subtle allusions are powerful.

    Daniel Wilcox

    ReplyDelete